Frequently Asked Questions

General Questions

How can John help me resolve a problem with state agency?

We can help you in a variety of ways with state agencies. We can make inquiries on your behalf about the status of any pending cases before any state agency (with the exception of judicial cases). We can also often offer advice about which agency would be best to handle your concerns, and help you navigate the sometimes confusing web of services offered by the state government.

How do I ask you for help?

The best way to quickly obtain assistance with casework is to visit our casework section. You may also contact us by mail, telephone or fax. When making a request, it should contain the following information:

  • Brief explanation: Please describe the situation with which you require help as briefly and clearly as possible. The more clear and concise your explanation, the faster we can handle your case. 

  • Relevant identification numbers: Please any relevant case or file numbers, or your your social security number
  • Special notes: Due to new privacy laws, some agencies will not speak with our office without a signed release form. Some of those forms are located here.

Issues & Legislation

Where can I learn more about legislation John has sponsored?

To view the text and or status of the bills John has sponsored or co-sponsored, please visit our Issues and Legislation section.

What is John's position on a particular bill or issue?

Everyday, we receive numerous letters, e-mails, faxes and phone calls urging John to support or oppose a particular bill pending before the Legislature or to obtain his position on a specific issue. Please visit our Contact page for ways to contact John or his staff.

Legislative Process

How do I find the text or status of a bill?

If you're looking the text or status of a bill, please visit the Massachusetts Legislature's website.

How does the budget process work?

The drafting and debate of the state's annual budget is one of the largest and most complex responsibilities of state legislators. In fact, the process for the next Fiscal Year (which begins on July 1st) is already underway.

The Governor submits his budget in mid-January and the legislative Ways and Means Committees hold hearings with top administration officials and other interested parties during February and March. In mid-April, the House of Representatives will unveil and debate its own version and the Senate will follow suit in mid-May.

After each branch has adopted its version of the budget, a joint Senate-House Conference Committee will resolve the differences between the versions. The full Legislature will then vote to approve or disapprove a budget bill which is sent to the Governor for his approval or disapproval.

The Governor may sign the bill or he may choose to veto line items or entire sections. The Legislature may then take up any of these vetoes and override them with a two-thirds vote in both the House and Senate.

Click here for an overview of the State Budget Process

Can you help people who live outside the 13th Worcester District?

If you are not a resident of the 13th Worcester, any inquiries you send to us will be forwarded to the State Representative who represents your community.

Find your elected officials

Couldn't find the answer to your question?

Visit our Contact Page to ask your question.